Gumbo A Taste of New Orleans

by - October 12, 2012


BRIEF HISTORY

The word Gumbo is derived from African word for okra, a pod like vegetable introduced by African slaves and often used to thicken the stew. It has an incomparably rich flavor and texture and derives from the cooking of French, Spanish, Indian, and African residents of the area. Gumbo has been called the greatest contribution of Louisiana Kitchens to American cuisine. When the first French settlers came to Louisiana , they brought their love for bouillabaisse, a highly seasoned fish stew. Having none of the usual ingredients necessary to make a typical French bouillabaisse , they substituted local ingredients. After about a century, with the Spanish, Africans, and natives of the region offering their contributions of food, the stew was no longer recognizable as bouillabaisse and became GUMBO. What started out as second best became better than the original.


Today , gumbo is generally a southern U.S regional term for stew-like dishes with meat or seafood , tomatoes and sweet bell peppers, but more specifically it is a Creole dish, whose characteristics ingredients are okra and file powder.




Gumbo… A Taste of New Orleans, a casual dining restaurant that provides extra ordinary atmosphere of fun, quality food , best service and cleanliness. Fill your senses…with the authentic taste of Cajun and Creole cooking such as freshly caught seafood’s, tender and juicy steaks and ribs , a variety of pasta and pizza dishes and whole lot more. Hear the Dixieland jazz music and feel the vibrant energy of a Mardi Gras Celebration.

Complimentary Bread with Olive Oil and Garlic
This was serve while waiting for our order

Calamari Fritti
Fresh Calamari rings marinated the lightly coated seasoned flour served with tartare sauce.
Petite: 395.00 Grande: 495.00


I have developed an allergy on seafood last year when I ate buttered shrimp brought by my friends. I experience hypersensitivity reaction which leads me having urticaria (hives), swelling of both eyes, burning sensation all over my body, and dizziness while having my 10-6 shift duty. The most frightening part occur to me are difficulty of breathing, blackout and drop in blood pressure. The good thing was I’m still conscious and able to manage some of it and extremely appreciate my friends whose there to assist me to easily recover.

 Pizza Extravaganza
Combination of four different pizza flavors
Petite: 475.00 Grande: 675.00

forgot the name of this dish
Tomato base pasta with mushroom and olives topped with coated deep fried shrimp and onion rings


My problem now is, every time I go out with my friends they love to eat seafood and I always remind them that I have an allergy on it. And this is what they say “you miss half of your life”, hahaha! That how’s our friendship goes. Some of them tell me “don’t afraid to try a little of it” in medical term it’s called desensitization.

And because they are my friend I followed there advised but still cautious about it by not forgetting my dose of pills and got to enjoy seafood.





Location: 2/L, Entertainment Mall, SM Mall of Asia








You May Also Like

0 comments